Monday, June 20, 2005

Monday Mania (6/20)

Remembering the already lost weekend: Kevin and I discussed a the romance of a blue collar life. It's fun to imagine working somewhere remotely near your home, punching the clock at 5, home by 5:20. Play with the kids, presumably drink a beer, basically spend time with your family for once instead of the commuters. It's a bit fantastical though; I don't want to explain to my kids why they will have 100k of student loan debt because I felt like having a less stressful job. Or why we can't take vacations like some of their friends. There is no romance to juggling bills and having to tap into your retirement account to cover the roofing work.
So what's the alternative? Leave at 6 in the morning and come home at 7. In bed by 10. That's three hours to spend between your wife and kids. You can make a lot of money though, take care of the ones you love. Seems like I'm chasing my own tail.
I should have gone to law school and became a suburban divorce lawyer. 40-50 hours a week, decent living, and enough balance that my kids will recognize me.
Where the hell is this post going?

2 comments:

skypilotjourneyman said...

It's unbelievably sad how "they" have schooled us as to what is success and what isn't.

I can't help but think corporate America would be completely ok if they had robots working for them instead of humans. It's how they treat most of their employees anyway.

then we could simply buy a robot to work for us and stay home with our families :)

hmmm...perhaps I'm on to something!

Brooks said...

Then again, the robots would be expensive enough to necessitate credit plans to pay for them. You would be judged on the quality of robot you can afford, and all your neighbors would leverage their lives to get the newest Sport Utility Robot with GPS navigation.

Thanks for stopping by though.